Skip to main content

HuMan's thoughts on Marvel Comics: Ultimatum

If you ever asked a comic enthusiast what he/she thought of the Ultimatum comics, chances are they will probably have hated it, and for good reason. If you haven’t read the comic I strongly recommend for you to read it, obviously not because of how good it is but only to get a taste of what bad writing and terrible art looks like. And if you can’t seem to spare enough time for that, lucky you, I’ve got you covered, just beware mild spoilers ahead (Not that it matters though).

Written by Jeph Loeb and art by David Finch, this series of events takes place in the ‘Ultimate Universe’ or Earth-1610. Ever wanted your favorite heroes to have minimal involvement in the plot and experience unnecessarily gruesome deaths? If you said yes, then you are probably an emo and are extremely edgy. Just kidding, if you are reading my blog then you are awesome! Regardless, let’s get down to reviewing.

Can’t seem to think of anything but if you are interested in looking at your favorite female characters being overly sexualized, I guess it’s a pro. Otherwise, it is a delight to see all your favorite Marvel heroes coming together and fighting off a common foe. Of course, this comes at an expense but what can I say it’s an absolute joy seeing Nick Fury, X-men and the Avengers being silly together.

First and foremost, the extremely gory deaths of all my favorite heroes did mess me up just a bit. Keep in mind, I hadn’t read a single review and didn’t know what I was walking into. If I were being specific, the death of Dr. Strange and the Wasp messed me up the most, not because I was fond of them or anything but because they were wasted off within a span of a single page. Even more disturbing would be when Antman just bit off the Blob’s head, I mean I didn’t like him too much either but there are limits to what a hero can do. There are way more events which I recommend being read rather than told cause there is a chance you will either puke or laugh out loud while realizing how stupid and ridiculous all the events will look.



Other things that bothered me include building up a plot, to end up with nothing. Like a scene where Magneto says he has great plans for Mystique but nothing significant really happens with respect to her. Magneto is also seen wielding Thor’s hammer in the cover and poster but again that doesn’t mean anything in the story.
                                                
Now coming down to the terrible art, what I am referring to is the giant and massive bodies of all the characters involved in these events. Just look at Carol Danvers and tell me I’m supposed to take the events here seriously. And not just her but Valkyrie, Thor, Sue, and others really look unfit to save the world. And if you are saying that’s how comic characters are then I really wish they aren’t because I read, watch and play mostly because I’m interested in the plot. These unnecessary art tropes really distract me and take my attention off of the plot, which I severely dislike.
                                                           
CONCLUSION:

Definitely give it a try if you are bored and want to peel out your eyeballs. The story ends with the hope that any miserable soul would be interested in reading Ultimatum part 2 but we all know we don’t need that kind of negativity on this earth anymore. I give this comic a solid sarcastic 5/5 cause anyone who has read this knows it doesn’t deserve even half a star. If you are planning to read this comic anyway, remember to place all logic, knowledge, and love for your characters aside cause trust me when I say this, this comic will make you feel like shit in the end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HuMan's thoughts on: George Orwell's 1984

Recently, I had a quick fleeting recommendation to peruse George Orwell's 1984. Its increasing relevance in today's time period as social media sites and technology aim to do precisely that which is described in this book contains more forethought than one would expect from a writer during the industrial revolution. So I picked it up, as in, I downloaded an epub file from the internet and employed my trustee Google Books app to create a simulation of the book on my phone and completed it in a mere 5 days. Without giving too much away, the base premise basically describes modern-day China. In that, every single person living is under a regime that is constantly watching them. 1984 has a slight bit of confusion though.  Before it can really embed itself upon me as genuinely being a good book, it first has to decide what kind of book it is. 1984 takes ample time and liberal descriptions to describe each and every contemplation of thought that goes on in our protagonist's mind

An Ode to Video games

 Boredom can give rise to a lot of things, for me lately, an addiction to writing has really gotten to my head. So here, just a little something I ended up typing to my friend Shruti in a matter of 30 mins when I thought she was offline (But somehow wasn't): Yknow, I want something, that which i cannot say, I want something, that which i cannot describe, I want something, that which i cannot ask for, I want something, something prehistoric, something atavistic, something uncultured, Remnants of a past hobby, Withered, but present, With influence so grand, so emminent, so irresistible One that engenders shivers, goosebumps, and naive exploitable excitement A grating decay of a plane, damp sounds of battering bones and swift stabs that atrophy Explosions that stupor, stories that inspire, and zombies that devour Not trite, not grindy, but one with an end Not limited, not unfathomable, but lovable Addicting, but not degrading Reviving not enervating One that tests skills, not temper a

HuMan's Book Review: Go Suck a Lemon by Michael Cornwall

  Going through life's ups and downs one eventually in today's times resorts to self help books. Prior to this one I read The Secret. The main point of The Secret over its entire run was to think positive and to think of only good outcomes and to manifest it to yourself. Letting the power of the universe serve you. Go Suck a Lemon isn't much different. Repeating one ideal over and over again till it embeds itself into your natural thinking and instincts seems to be a pattern that works pretty effectively. However while The Secret comprehensively bombards you with examples from all walks of life and all accounts of individuals from various backgrounds who are all in their own right successful, Go Suck a Lemon is a much more personal account of Dr. Micharl Cornwall. So much so it also includes a whole chapter deticated to his down syndrome sister who taught him a good few lessons on emotional intelligence. The mantra repeated in this book is of taking ownership of our emotion