Skip to main content

HuMan's thoughts on: The Sea Beast


I have previously reviewed How to train your dragon on this blog. The third part to be specific. And in that I said I wasn't particularly fond of it because it felt less like a sequel and more like an add on or spinoff. Well, since then I have come to appreciate the fact that at least HTTYD never became a knockoff of itself the way Ice Age did and lost its initial identity in the process. The sea beast however, does that for HTTYD. 

The Sea Beast features most notably the voice of Karl Urban, someone I recognize from the TV show The Boys, which is just fantastic in its own way. Regardless, one can barely tell who Karl Urban plays in this movie as his voice is as generic as possible. He rocks an Australian accent in the Boys and I honestly don't know if that is his real accent but that was what I was expecting. Either way, weak voice acting aside, all of the characters seem to lack polish in their personalities. There is nuance here and there in the plot, but overall they aren't even predictable, just disappointing. Take for example, Sarah Sharpe played by Marianne Jean-Baptiste who is introduced by the little girl and I have no idea why she is hyped up during the story. She does have her moment but it doesn't feel earned at all, feels sudden instead. There is the captain too, who is steadfast and blind in his decision making but is open to reason in the beginning of the movie but has no meaningful arc whatsoever. Of course I am comparing these 2 side characters with Hiccup's dad and girlfriend and that is unfair but those were some lovable characters man. In contrast, midway through The Sea Beast, I tried remembering the protagonist's name and for the life of me I swear I thought it was Tom Holland rather than Jacob Holland. What this movie lacked is a proper character design overall I feel. Even if the dialogues were top notch the expressions and the actions of the characters contribute to nothing other than the plot and that seems like a missed opportunity. Consider even the kaiju style monsters in this movie and none of them hold a candlestick in comparison to the dragons in HTTYD. They're all just lifeless organisms like a grumpy cat

Looking at the bigger picture too, the editing seems way off. There is a villain in this story, who does nothing. And there are characters who seem important but don't have screen time. And instead there's long stretches of interactions between characters, all of which are very weak and show double triple sides of a character making them less likeable and just looking confused. 

I will mention one thing that I liked though, the cinematography of it, plus the animations. Creativity felt low but that's me comparing it again so that's ok. But damn, there are 3 or 4 scenes where I gasped only cause the direction actually seems to be on point in those moments. The shocking unexpected parts were my favourite because they worked well as a spectacle and as a plot point. 

The Sea Beast overall is underwhelming. It starts off strong but long character interactions make the movie seem stretched out for no reason. And the 'journey' seems like a forced plot point rather than a genuine growth in a relationship. I would rate it a solid 3, maybe 4 out of 10, because I do not see myself watching this movie again the way I watch HTTYD shorts on youtube today.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HuMan's thoughts on: George Orwell's 1984

Recently, I had a quick fleeting recommendation to peruse George Orwell's 1984. Its increasing relevance in today's time period as social media sites and technology aim to do precisely that which is described in this book contains more forethought than one would expect from a writer during the industrial revolution. So I picked it up, as in, I downloaded an epub file from the internet and employed my trustee Google Books app to create a simulation of the book on my phone and completed it in a mere 5 days. Without giving too much away, the base premise basically describes modern-day China. In that, every single person living is under a regime that is constantly watching them. 1984 has a slight bit of confusion though.  Before it can really embed itself upon me as genuinely being a good book, it first has to decide what kind of book it is. 1984 takes ample time and liberal descriptions to describe each and every contemplation of thought that goes on in our protagonist's mind

An Ode to Video games

 Boredom can give rise to a lot of things, for me lately, an addiction to writing has really gotten to my head. So here, just a little something I ended up typing to my friend Shruti in a matter of 30 mins when I thought she was offline (But somehow wasn't): Yknow, I want something, that which i cannot say, I want something, that which i cannot describe, I want something, that which i cannot ask for, I want something, something prehistoric, something atavistic, something uncultured, Remnants of a past hobby, Withered, but present, With influence so grand, so emminent, so irresistible One that engenders shivers, goosebumps, and naive exploitable excitement A grating decay of a plane, damp sounds of battering bones and swift stabs that atrophy Explosions that stupor, stories that inspire, and zombies that devour Not trite, not grindy, but one with an end Not limited, not unfathomable, but lovable Addicting, but not degrading Reviving not enervating One that tests skills, not temper a

HuMan's Book Review: Go Suck a Lemon by Michael Cornwall

  Going through life's ups and downs one eventually in today's times resorts to self help books. Prior to this one I read The Secret. The main point of The Secret over its entire run was to think positive and to think of only good outcomes and to manifest it to yourself. Letting the power of the universe serve you. Go Suck a Lemon isn't much different. Repeating one ideal over and over again till it embeds itself into your natural thinking and instincts seems to be a pattern that works pretty effectively. However while The Secret comprehensively bombards you with examples from all walks of life and all accounts of individuals from various backgrounds who are all in their own right successful, Go Suck a Lemon is a much more personal account of Dr. Micharl Cornwall. So much so it also includes a whole chapter deticated to his down syndrome sister who taught him a good few lessons on emotional intelligence. The mantra repeated in this book is of taking ownership of our emotion